Welcome to Faith Lutheran Church
(Serving the Community Since 1947)
We invite you to gather with us to participate in worship and fellowship, in ministries and other events and occasions.
Sunday mornings at Faith begin at 9 AM with Sunday school and Adult Forum, followed by worship at 10:30 AM. After worship, there is a Coffee Fellowship.
Bible studies and other ministries are scheduled at various times during the week. Faith’s Food Pantry is open on the third Saturday of each month from 9-11 AM.
Join us on our journey to learn about and do God’s work in the Avon community and the world.
We will celebrate with you, laugh with you, cry with you and grow with you. All part of the life of a child of God.
Faith’s welcome mat is always out.
Pr. Emily Wiles will be installed as our new pastor on Sunday, August 24th; with worship and the celebration of Holy Communion beginning at 4:00 p.m. A light supper will be provided after the service.
From our Pastor
When I received Bishop Gafkjen’s phone call one afternoon (OK, it was February 26th; not that I remember that life-changing day or anything), the first words out of my mouth – before even saying hello – were “I’m so glad it’s you.”
My words shocked the bishop. To be fair, I hadn’t even thought of Indiana-Kentucky as a possible home even a week before his phone call. Nevertheless, I was thrilled when he called me for so many reasons.
We got to know each other for a couple minutes, and then he said that he had a church in mind for me. He didn’t tell me which one; he wanted me to read paperwork and allow the Holy Spirit to direct me to the right church. Long story short: we all agreed; here I am. And I am so grateful to be here.
Often the next question is, “What’s next?” Next is what you have already been doing: live out Faith’s mission to love, serve, and gather in Christ.
In order to do so, we need to get to know each other. I’m a huge fan of lists so I begin this way. Here are 5 things to know about me right away.
- My favorite part of worship is Holy Communion.
- Deborah is my favorite judge/ruler of the Israelite people.
- I have eaten sheep stomach but cannot eat dairy.
- I am looking forward to milder winters than Wisconsin/Minnesota’s winters.
- I’m so glad I get to be your pastor.
Over the course of the next few months and years, we will have many opportunities to get to know each other more. How? Glad you asked. Stay attune for more information but for now, I invite you to this list of 3 things:
- Let’s grab lunch, dinner, coffee, or a conversation. Where? At home, your work, the soccer field, restaurant, church, grocery store, wherever God is bringing us together. Give me a call; we’ll set it up.
- Show and tell how you live out your faith in your work, family, or an activity. Show how you offer Christ’s love to others. Tell me your dreams and visions for Faith; where you meet God (on the golf course, in your child or spouse, in the woods, etc.); your heartbreaks and your joys.
- Keep me in your prayers as I keep you in my prayers, and encourage one another with Christ’s love.
I can’t thank you all enough – for your prayers and support throughout the call process, helping me move to Avon, the beautiful flowers at my ordination, and your ongoing care for God’s world.
Most importantly, know that I’m so glad I get to be your pastor. I’m so glad it’s you.